Car Accident Checklist: What To Do After A Crash
A car accident can happen at any time. It’s important to always be prepared for an unexpected crash. The actions you take immediately after a motor vehicle accident can greatly impact your insurance claims or a potential personal injury case. Whether it’s a minor fender-bender with only a little property damage, a serious crash with life threatening injuries, or any level in between, every little detail is valuable. In order to ensure that you are able to receive what you are otherwise entitled to, below are a few instructions or topics to be aware of if the unfortunate does happen to you or your loved ones.
Feel free to print out this checklist and keep it in your vehicle’s glove box or storage compartment so you know what steps to take following an accident. Whether an crash has already taken place or not, you may always call Sarkisian Sarkisian & Associates P.C. at 219-265-6061.
Take These Actions Immediately
- Call for emergency medical care if necessary.
- Call the police: File a police report to document the accident.
- Take pictures at the scene of the accident: Photograph vehicle damage, injuries, dangerous road conditions and other contributing factors.
- Exchange information with the other driver: Document names, phone numbers, addresses and insurance information of all involved parties.
- Talk to witnesses. Ask witnesses for their names and contact information in case you need their testimony to verify what happened.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible: If you did not receive emergency medical care, visit your chosen medical provider. Some serious injuries may not be apparent until later.
Complete These Steps Soon After The Crash
- Speak with an attorney: Contact a qualified personal injury attorney to discuss the situation and any potential claims. Sarkisian Sarkisian & Associates can explain your options and discuss your expectations. Call 219-265-6061.
- Do not speak with any insurance company before speaking with an attorney: Insurance companies often look for opportunities to reduce your settlement or minimize your claims. Allow a qualified and experienced personal injury attorney speak to the insurance adjusters for you. Hiring an attorney does not harm your case or negatively affect you.
- Compile all necessary paperwork: Create a folder or binder that can hold all of the important documents that will be generated following a crash. Such documents include police reports, photographs, medical records/bills, insurance information, contact information of the other party/witnesses and much more. You must assume that every document has relevant information and should be preserved.
Contact Us For Trusted Legal Counsel
If you were injured in a car accident in Indiana or Illinois, Sarkisian Sarkisian & Associates is ready to help. Let our team of personal injury attorneys listen to your story, explain your options, and ensure you receive everything that you have lost or are otherwise entitled to. To learn more, we encourage you to visit our Car Accident FAQ page.